You’ve taken all the right steps to make sure that your business is properly insured. But, if disaster strikes, do you have a plan for how you’ll deal with it? Your actions in the wake of an unexpected event can affect your claim, so it’s important you follow the right process.
Because such events are upsetting and sometimes shocking, in the heat of the moment it can be hard to remember everything you need to do. Therefore, we’ve compiled a checklist of the steps you should take to help your business insurance claim progress smoothly.
1. When disaster happens, first make sure everyone is okay. Don’t stay on site unless it is safe to do so. Call the emergency services if necessary.
2. Don’t start cleaning up immediately, as tempting as it might be.
3. Call your insurance broker to let them know what’s happened. They’ll be able to tell you what to do to help your insurance claim progress as smoothly as possible.
4. Take steps to prevent any further damage by securing the site and turning off services like power, water or gas. This is likely to be a condition of your insurance policy, so failing to do so could compromise your claim. If there’s been a burglary, try not to disturb any evidence that may be helpful to the police.
5. Document and itemise all the damage by taking plenty of photos and making detailed notes. Do this before anything is removed or put away. It will help your loss adjustor work out the value of your claim.
6. If you incur additional expenses because of the event, keep accurate records in case they are claimable. However, unless it’s an emergency, don’t spend any money on repairing or replacing anything before your claim has been processed.
7. If you have a business contingency plan to continue trading, put it into action. If you don’t have one, identify and initiate any temporary measures that will keep you up and running.
8. Keep a clear and open dialogue with both your insurance broker and loss adjustor. They will be able to keep you informed about the progress of your claim.
Following the above steps will make it as easy as possible for your insurer to assess and approve your claim, and will help you to get your business back up and running again. If you need to set up or review your business insurance, give the team at Certus a call for expert, tailored advice.